Realtime audio over UDP - Low quality

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Sat Nov 5 14:38:36 UTC 2016

Le 4 nov. 2016 1:42 PM, "David Ventura" <davidventura27 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi. I'm trying to get audio (voice only) over udp on local network.
>
> First: Listening to the mic directly through alsa gives me great quality;
there's no overdrive when shouting/talking WAY too close to the mic.

> Now, when using the following pipeline the audio is .. ok. The quality is
not 'good'. It's good enough, but there's a clear quality drop from
directly listening to the mic. There's overdrive when there's shouting, etc.

That is likely the side effect of using mu-law compression. It should sound
like weird phone at best.

Maybe your use case allow using raw pcm (l16pay) or opus codec if
compression matter (you can even turn on music mode on opus, it gives great
results).

> Producer:
>
> gst-launch-1.0  alsasrc slave-method=resample do-timestamp=true !
audioconvert ! audioresample ! mulawenc ! rtppcmupay ! multiudpsink clients=
192.168.2.120:5001

> Consumer:
>

> gst-launch-1.0 -q udpsrc port=5001 caps="application/x-rtp"
do-timestamp=true ! rtppcmudepay ! mulawdec
> ! audioconvert ! audioresample
! audio/x-raw,format=S16LE,layout=interleaved, rate=44100, channels=2 !
fdsink fd=1 sync=true