Correspondence between appsrc input and appsink output buffers

benjamin.hepp at posteo.de benjamin.hepp at posteo.de
Sun Nov 6 01:35:43 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm new to gstreamer (it's great!) so I very much appreciate any help.

I basically have the following setup:
Custom video-source -> appsrc -> encoding -> appsink -> send over
network together with other information that corresponds to each frame
(e.g. GPS).
On the server I receive buffer and associated information -> appsrc ->
decoding -> appsink.

Now in both cases I push a buffer into an appsrc that has some
associated information. Is there any way to link this information again
to a buffer coming out of the appsink?

I now that theoretically there is no guarantee that one buffer out of
the appsink is one frame, but in my case it is. So on the client side I
can just assume that no frame is ever dropped (assuming I never hit any
buffer limit).
However, on the receiving side the decoder sometimes needs to drop some
frame until it can start decoding and I don't know how many it drops. So
I'm in the situation that I cannot link the information to the buffers
coming out of the appsink.
Unfortunately I can't use the buffer offset or PTS information because
this is just reset by the encoder/decoder.

Is there any other way to establish these correspondences?

Cheers
Benjamin