Turning this gst-launch-1.0 command into a C++ app?

Rick Blacker rick_blacker at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 03:55:09 UTC 2016

Hi all...

I'm very new to GStreamer, I've gone through the manual but I still
needed a fair amount of assistance....  I'm sorry this email is a bit
long, but I have a LOT of confusion going on and would greatly
appreciate any help I can get.

I have this gst-launch-1.0 command.

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video13 do-timestamp=true ! video/x-
raw, format=YUY2, width=640, height=480, framerate=30/1 !
autovideoconvert ! vaapih264enc ! rtph264pay ! udpsink host=192.168.1.2
port=5600

I'm wanting to duplicate this command line into a C++ application using
these elements/settings

I started to try and pick out the various elements.  The ones I came up
with are (which I could be SO COMPLETELY WRONG). Are these the actual
elements I would want to try and create in a C++ app???

* v4l2src
* autovideoconvert
* vaapih264enc
* rtph264pay
* udpsink

On my system, I get errors for autovideoconvert, vaapih264enc.
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "autovideoconvert"
This warning is what I get from the command line when I run the gst-
launch command.

I'm not exactly sure why vaapih264enc is not working but I suspect the
same. I only know this because in my app, I check to see if each
element was created successfully.  If not I print out an error.

The other elements seem to generate ok. I noticed that autovideoconvert
is classified in the "bad" category, if I wanted to replace it with
something else, is there a way to make an educated guess at another
element?

what is rtph264pay.  I did a search on it. I found the manual page for
it but there is no description.

Also, if I look at v4l2src, I see that there is "device=/dev/video13".
Is that a property that I would set on my v4l2src element?

What about
   video/x-raw, format=YUY2, width=640, height=480, framerate=30/1
Is that a set of properties?  If so, what element do they belong on?