GstMeta writers guide?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Nov 12 09:16:25 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 07:56 +0000, John P Poet wrote:

> Is there a writers guide for GstMeta somewhere?  I found
>
> https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/h
> tml/gstreamer-GstMeta.html
>
> But I need more than just a description of the API.  For example
> GstMetaTransformFunction() says:
>
> Function called for each meta in buffer as a result of performing a
> transformation on transbuf . Additional type specific transform data
> is passed to the function as data .
> Implementations should check the type of the transform and parse
> additional type specific fields in data that should be used to update
> the metadata on transbuf .
>
> Okay, but...
> What is a tranformation?
> What would invoke a transformation?
> What are the possible transformation types, and what do they mean?
> What is passed in data?  It says 'type specific' but what does that
> mean?
>
> Is there a "writers guide" for GStreamer anywhere that answers
> questions like this?

There isn't. Please file a bug with those questions so we can add
something to the documentation, or maybe you can also write a patch to
add it there.

a) Transformation: example would be if you have a meta that marks a
specific, absolute position in a video frame. Rescaling or cropping the
frame would require the position in the meta to also change. That's a
transformation and for that the meta's transform function is called
with the appropriate transform parameter.

b) Who does that: the element that performs the transformation should

c) Possible transformation types: copy, the things in gstvideometa.c/h
and they can also be externally defined.

d) Parameter passed in there: depends on the transformation really. It
should be documented with the transformation.

(Note that all this transformation stuff does not matter to your VANC
meta AFAIU)