make video/x-bayer a first class gstreamer citizen

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas at ndufresne.ca
Fri Nov 25 01:39:18 UTC 2016

Le vendredi 25 novembre 2016 à 02:17 +0100, Philippe De Muyter a
écrit :

> Could video/x-bayer,format=bggr be replaced by video/x-
> raw,format=bggr
>  (or BGGR) ?

It's hard to say if this can be changed now or not. Probably that the
old video/x-bayer would need to stay. Meanwhile, someone need to study
the libgstvideo library and find what may not fit, or what is needed to
make it fit. We managed to retrofit tile formats few years ago. With
enough effort, it could be possible to do the same for bayer. It's
obvious that color correction specific to your hardware won't be done
auto-magically though.

> v4l2 does not do that distinction, and actually some sensors come
> with
> the same electronic part, changing only the color filter between a
> GREY
> sensor and a Bayer sensor

We do have support video/x-bayer in GStreamer V4L2 plugins. It is
though not often tested. I need to check, but if vivid (the V4L2 test
driver) expose those format, then I'll be able to implement some gst-
validate test around it.

best regards,
Nicolas