udpsink or udpsrc loosing data

Holger weber at telerob.de
Fri Nov 25 13:30:07 UTC 2016

I try to stream a webcam video from one windows machine to another one.

Server:
$GL \
ksvideosrc device-index=0 \
!  videoscale method=0 add-borders=false !
video/x-raw,width=$WIDTH,height=$HEIGHT ! videoconvert \
! x264enc tune=zerolatency rc-lookahead=0 intra-refresh=true
sync-lookahead=0 speed-preset=1 ! h264parse \
! rtph264pay  ! udpsink   host=$DST_IP  port=$DST_PORT

Client:
$GL udpsrc port=$DST_PORT ! application/x-rtp, payload=96  ! rtph264depay  !
h264parse \
! avdec_h264  ! glimagesink sync=false

The quality on the client side is very bad, it seems that many packages are
lost (bitrate is about 2Mbit - x264enc default). If I start server and
client on the same machine, the quality is much better but there are still
image errors.

If I don't use udpsrc / sink and do everything in one pipeline, the image
quality is good.

$GL \
ksvideosrc device-index=0 \
!  videoscale method=0 add-borders=false !
video/x-raw,width=$WIDTH,height=$HEIGHT ! videoconvert \
! x264enc tune=zerolatency rc-lookahead=0 intra-refresh=true
sync-lookahead=0 speed-preset=1 ! h264parse  ! rtph264pay \
! application/x-rtp, payload=96  ! rtph264depay  ! h264parse ! avdec_h264  !
glimagesink sync=false

In another post I read, that most packages will be dropped by udpsink
immediately. I think this is the problem - but I'm not sure. But I don't
know how to solve this.