Help me in writing a player based on gstreamer for raspberry pi

munezbn.dev munezbn.dev at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 06:15:06 UTC 2016

Sebastian Dröge-3 wrote
> Why would you like to create a custom pipeline instead of using
> playbin? If you're planning a player application, playbin is exactly
> what you want to use in 99% of the cases.

The main purpose for me is learning and understanding gstreamer. Thats why I
want come out of playbin.
And im not sure if we have control over pipeline and elements created by
playbin ? For example if we have queue2 element for buffering, can we have
custom values for buffering size ? How can we modify property values of
elements added by playbin ?
Also, if i create my own plugin in future for xyz purpose, can I tell
playbin to add my new element in between pipeline ?

> Also take a look at GstPlayer, which might make your life even easier:
> https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-bad-libs/html/gst-plugins-bad-libs-gstplayer.html#

Thanks I have a look into that

> GL is hardware accelerated on the RPi and is what you should use. Just
> make sure that it uses the RPi GL implementation and not mesa.
>
> Also there is no support for hardware accelerated GL in X11 on the RPi,
> so you will have to use a UI toolkit that uses dispmanx or GL for
> rendering.

Thanks for the information. I will look into dispmanx

> Which UI toolkit do you want to use? On that depends every other
> answer.

I was thinkiing of GTK. but is there any other widget libraries which uses
dispmanx ? Or you can suggest me any.. I am open to try :)

Thanks & Regards
Munez