gst_element_get_request_pad usage question

William Salibrici bsalibrici at latticeinc.com
Mon Oct 3 21:28:17 UTC 2016

Hello,
The GStreamer Application Development Manual (1.8.3) page 32 shows a simple usage example for gst_element_get_request_pad. The example uses gst_object_unref (GST_OBJECT (pad)) when you are finished with the pad object. I found the same kind of usage in some of your test examples. I have also used it this way in my application C code and it appears to work ok.
However, I noticed that your core reference [direct from your documentation website] for GstElement, gst_element_get_request_pad, states that 'The pad should be released with gst_element_release_request_pad().' It doesn't say anything about using gst_object_unref.
So my question is which one is correct - the manual or your core reference, or maybe both somehow? Will I end up with resource leaks if I don't exactly follow the core reference?
Thank you for your clarification on this.
Regards,
Bill