help with using GST_TRACER

mariannasb mariannasb at yahoo.com.br
Tue Oct 18 06:40:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have been trying to use the GST_TRACER and my first problem is the
difficulty of finding documentation and understanding how to use it.

Is there other documentation available other than
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/docs/design/part-tracing.txt
?

>From what I understand from there I can use the tracer by setting the
GST_TRACERS env variable to one or more of the following: latency, rusage,
stats, leaks.
Then setting as well GST_DEBUG=GST_TRACER:7 so that the output of the tracer
shows up in the debug log.
Then there is the possibility of passing the debug log to gst-stats-1.0 so
it gets parsed.

>From what I understand "latency" will tell me the time it takes for a buffer
to traverse the whole pipeline: go from source to sink.
I'm actually interested in the individual processing time of each element as
well, is it possible to get this information?
And it would also be helpful if gst-stats could print the latency
information like it does for buffer size: min/avg/max