help with using GST_TRACER

mariannasb mariannasb at yahoo.com.br
Fri Oct 21 10:36:42 UTC 2016

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for pointing me to the existing documentation during the conference
:)

>> From what I understand "latency" will tell me the time it takes for a
>> buffer
>> to traverse the whole pipeline: go from source to sink.
>> I'm actually interested in the individual processing time of each element
>> as
>> well, is it possible to get this information?
>gst-stats is showing those if you use stats+rsuage. Please note that the
>cpu usage we show is not always correct. This is where we should merge
>the existing tools.

Yes I run gst-stats after running a pipe with GST_TRACERS="stats;rusage" and
that shows cpu usage and some buffer information.
I'm not very interested in the cpu load, so for me it is not a problem if it
isn't always right.

What I really want is the latency information (the individual processing
time of each element).
And it think it could be nice if that could be parsed by gst-stats to show
latency information like fx. the buffer size information is shown.

The only thing I can get right now is the time from src element to sink
element when setting GST_TRACERS=latency.

I'm running 1.8.0 so I might not be up to date with new features.

Is it possible to get the information I want at the moment or is there any
interest/plan to add such functionality?

Thanks

Marianna