big delay of 13 seconds to turn on the camera

ano ona nemogstlist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 19:01:47 UTC 2016

Hi, i'm new to gstreamer, played a little with the command line and the C
API. I have many issues, but don't know if it's coming from a bad usage, my
distro, or the framework itself. Sorry if the answer is obvious.

My goal is to build a camera triggered by a PIR sensor on the beagleboard
black (BBB).

I made test on laptop and the BBB.

Here, i'll address an issue, i have on both the BBB and the laptop. Both
are on ArchLinux.

So, i'll start with one that is quite annoying knowing my goal.

I have this problem, on laptop and BBB, with cmd-line and API.

GStreamer Core Library version 1.9.90
kernel 4.8.4-1-ARCH

Here, is a link of the log of the command :

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
'video/x-raw,format=YUY2,width=960,height=544,framerate=20/1' !  jpegenc  !
rtpjpegpay !  fakesink &> log.txt

http://pastebin.com/4WbpyCau

U can see at line 151-152 the time it takes : 13scec

maybe it's gst_v4l2_object_probe_caps that takes this time ?

I need to swith on the camera really fast. I tried with VLC it takes 1sec.

I made a C code, that :

gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_PLAYING);

then wait for stream-start and then put the pipeline to GST_STATE_READ.

After that i could swith to PLAYING/READY really fast (my other issue is
that i dont receive stream-start on the BBB, but one problem at a time).

That's it, really like the modularity of gst.

Thanks in advance.