700ms of delay in tsdemux element

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Oct 26 07:27:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 09:41 -0700, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While I'm trying to optimize the delay in decodebin playback, I encountered
> 700ms of latency in tsdemux
>
> Mpegts(h.222) indicated that each PES to have a maximum gap of 700ms. But
> that doesn't translate to latency. While joining as a new client, the
> worstcase weight for the client is 700ms to encounter a PES, which will then
> be decoded asap to sent for rendering
>
> So 700ms doesn't translate to latency. Someone please correct me if I'm
> wrong

700ms is the worst case interleave between two different streams, as
such it can happen that for e.g. the video you get buffers with PTSs 0
to 700ms before seeing the first audio with PTS 0.

If we would assume a lower latency than 700ms in that case, all audio
packets would be considered late.

Doing some more adaptive as certainly possible here but would have to
be implemented first.