big delay of 13 seconds to turn on the camera

ano ona nemogstlist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:40:20 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 21:01 +0200, ano ona wrote:
> > Hi, i'm new to gstreamer, played a little with the command line and
> > the C API. I have many issues, but don't know if it's coming from a
> > bad usage, my distro, or the framework itself. Sorry if the answer is
> > obvious.
> >
> > My goal is to build a camera triggered by a PIR sensor on the
> > beagleboard black (BBB).
> >
> > I made test on laptop and the BBB.
> >
> > Here, i'll address an issue, i have on both the BBB and the laptop.
> > Both are on ArchLinux.
> >
> > So, i'll start with one that is quite annoying knowing my goal.
> >
> > I have this problem, on laptop and BBB, with cmd-line and API.
> >
> > GStreamer Core Library version 1.9.90
> > kernel 4.8.4-1-ARCH
> >
> > Here, is a link of the log of the command :
> >
> > gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! 'video/x-
> > raw,format=YUY2,width=960,height=544,framerate=20/1' !  jpegenc  !
> > rtpjpegpay !  fakesink &> log.txt
> >
> > http://pastebin.com/4WbpyCau
> >
> > U can see at line 151-152 the time it takes : 13scec
> >
> > maybe it's gst_v4l2_object_probe_caps that takes this time ?
>
> Take a look at a full debug log to check where time is spent, or use a
> profiler for that. A debug log should be enough for this huge amount of
> time though.
>
> It could be anything really. You probably also want to add a queue
> after v4l2src in your pipeline to make it possible that v4l2src and the
> jpeg encoding can run on different CPU (cores).
>

> It could be the probing though, maybe we run into a tricky case here
> and probe too many formats, which might be slow with your camera to do.
>
> --
> Sebastian Dröge, Centricular Ltd · http://www.centricular.com

The log is 13Mb :
https://github.com/ano-ona/peekamboo/blob/master/log2.txt

and the compressed one :
https://github.com/ano-ona/peekamboo/blob/master/log2.tar.gz

gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 !
'video/x-raw,format=YUY2,width=960,height=544,framerate=20/1' ! queue !
jpegenc  ! rtpjpegpay !  fakesink &> log2.txt

there are 2 functions(log line) taking each 7 sec.