Development of GStreamer on Windows?

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 07:02:17 UTC 2016

Hi Marcin,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:13 PM, marcin at saepia.net <marcin at saepia.net> wrote:
> I want to work on GStreamer support for Windows (directsound and wasapi
> elements)  and I look for advice for the most convenient setup. Cerbero is
> cool but recompiling whole package after change can be painful.
>
> What is the most convenient way to go? msys2? Native Microsoft tools?

Unfortunately, Cerbero is currently the only way to do GStreamer
development on Windows. The real pain with Cerbero is actually that it
builds everything with Autotools so it takes forever to bootstrap and
setup. You can find instructions here:

  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/cerbero/tree/README#n36

This will build GStreamer and all its dependencies with Autotools (MinGW/GCC).

It also isn't the most robust system, so you can expect some build
issues while setting it up. Do pop in at #gstreamer on FreeNode if you
have issues!

If you want to build GStreamer and some of its dependencies with MSVC
(but the majority of dependencies will still use Autotools/MinGW/GCC),
you can take a look at this experimental Cerbero branch:

  https://github.com/centricular/cerbero#windows

A little while back I also wrote a doc about development of GStreamer
using Cerbero:

  https://github.com/centricular/cerbero-docs/blob/master/start.md#dev-workflow

Hope this helps!

--