Application Development Manual 1.8.3 example code does not compile

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 18:23:14 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am referencing the GStreamer Application Development Manual 1.8.3, 2nd
page of chapter 17. Example code of how to implement a custom GstTaskPool
for use in the Stream Status message callbacks does not compile. There are
some obvious typos that I corrected ( e.g. TEST_TYPE_RT_POOL is not defined,
and I believe convention is to only capitalize the 1st letter of each of the
name parts) but I still cannot get this code to compile. I get the following
error:

cRTPStream.cpp:1387:16: error: variable or field ‘test_rt_pool_init’
declared void
 G_DEFINE_TYPE (TestRtPool, test_rt_pool, GST_TYPE_TASK_POOL);

The test_rt_pool_init() is indeed defined to return void. I am admittedly
weak in the finer points of the GObject class system, but my references show
that all of the GObject instance and class init functions should be defined
to return void. So I am at a loss as to what is going on here.

Thanks,
-Andres