/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgstreamer-0.10, plus other missing modules

Graham grahamberends at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 01:16:46 UTC 2016

Hi
I have a desktop PC running Fedora24. I'm just at page One learning how to
use gstreamer and the gcc compiler!

I wish to display a video using lesson one. The video on gstreamer.com does
exist. I've renamed the object as hello_world. On compiling I get messages
saying cannot find modules.

See messages and code below.

Why do I get these messages? And what could I do to install these modules?
[None of my searches are bringing up anything I can work on!?!]

I look forward to your help
Regards
Graham

Command and messages:
===================
gcc -n hello_world.c -o hello_world `pkg-config --cflags --libs
gstreamer-0.10`
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgstreamer-0.10
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgobject-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgmodule-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgthread-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lglib-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lxml2
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

The code
=======
$ cat ./hello_world.c
#include <gst/gst.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  GstElement *pipeline;
  GstBus *bus;
  GstMessage *msg;

  /* Initialize GStreamer */
  gst_init (&argc, &argv);

  /* Build the pipeline */
  pipeline = gst_parse_launch ("playbin2
uri=http://docs.gstreamer.com/media/sintel_trailer-480p.webm", NULL);

  /* Start playing */
  gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_PLAYING);

  /* Wait until error or EOS */
  bus = gst_element_get_bus (pipeline);
  msg = gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered (bus, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE,
GST_MESSAGE_ERROR | GST_MESSAGE_EOS);

  /* Free resources */
  if (msg != NULL)
    gst_message_unref (msg);
  gst_object_unref (bus);
  gst_element_set_state (pipeline, GST_STATE_NULL);
  gst_object_unref (pipeline);
  return 0;
}