Gstreamer - Jack - sending audio over WiFi net.

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Sep 13 07:22:12 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-09-12 at 19:24 -0300, Mario Sottile wrote:
> Hi, there. I need to make a setup like this:
>

> Two computers using Jack, with mic and speaker working and connected
> to PureData, both connected over WiFi network, sending/receiving
> audio and only one-way video.
>
> There are several ways to do it: NetJack, jack.trip, VNC, X over SHH,
> etc. I'm testing them. But here I'm asking about GStreamer.
>
> Can I encode audio with Gstreamer-Jack plugin and put it in IP
> address to access it from the other computer and use it in Pd? I
> would need to do the same in the other way.

Yes, just use the GStreamer jack plugin, which contains a source and
sink. I'm not sure what you mean with encoding though, currently it
only supports only raw audio but if JACK can do more you could add
support for that.

> (For the moment, for one-way video I would use VNC. If there's a
> better way with GStreamer, it will be in a future mail.)
>
> I would like to use gst-launch/gst-launch-1.0, because I'm not
> developing an aplication, but a working system with already-done-
> software/commands.

gst-launch is a debugging / testing application and should not be used
in production.