Multifilesink to trigger new file on silence

sebbesen sbebbesen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:02:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

My audio source is a stream of spoken word. I would like to save the stream
to a file. However, I would like the system to create a new file every time
the speaker takes a short break (i.e. after a few seconds of silence).

I am playing around with ... ! multifilesink location=myfile%d.mp3
next_file=2

This does in fact create multiple files, but they are cut somewhat randomly.

Does anyone know how to do this properly? I suppose if the signal amplitude
is below a given threshold (dB) for x number of seconds a new file should be
created - I just don't know how to specify this.

Thanks,
Soren