Gstreamer not playing videos in weston/wayland

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:26:29 UTC 2016

Le lundi 26 septembre 2016 à 09:16 +0300, Sebastian Dröge a écrit :
> You probably want to test with GStreamer GIT master. There were many
> changes to waylandsink recently, which should make it work better and
> more reliable.
>
> If that still does not help, please file a bug with the exact system
> details and a debug log obtained with GST_DEBUG=6. Thanks!
>
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer

Though, due instability of the wayland protocol and often inability to
test due to lack for compliant compositor, don't expect too much at
this moment from this element. At best, be prepared to contribute the
missing features.

Unlike X11 XV extension, wayland makes it really hard to playback video
since it's support is strictly limited to hardware accelerators that
can produce DMABuf. For anything else, we are suppose to fallback to
GL, which unfortunately is very complex to implement. Wayland protocol
is really missing something to make developer life easier.

Nicolas