Help me in writing a player based on gstreamer for raspberry pi

munezbn.dev munezbn.dev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:37:12 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I am planing to write a generic player for raspberry pi based on gstreamer.
I am new to gstreamer and still learning stuffs. I am using custom buildroot
image without X11.

My first idea is to create a player using playbin. Once that is done i will
work on creating own pipeline by adding elements on the fly..

So far i am able to create player based on playbin but  the issue is
displaying in fullscreen. I have searched a lot and looks like this is a
known problem with glimagesink and so far didnt find any solution.

Solutions which I have tried.

1] Using Gtk and drawingarea and set this window handle using
prepare_window_handle message.
    The first issue with this was about getting prepare_window_handle
message from glimagesink element. I was able to find the patch and use it.
After that i was able to get prepare_winodw_handle message. But when I set
window ID of drawing area it doesn't work. Same code works with ximagesing
on a fedora machine.. After searching a bit found that this is not possible
as glimagesink uses dispmanx and it is not compatible yet ??

2] Thinking of using glcolorscale/glupload  but not sure if it will be
hardware accelerated also not sure about aspect ratio.

My plan is to develop a gstreamer based player for raspberry with UI. Kindly
guide me.

Thanks & Regards
Munez