Reusing a udp socket/port for multiple differant pipelines, Advice needed

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Sep 30 09:58:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-09-30 at 02:43 -0700, debruyn wrote:

> I have a theory that once a socket(or even the port) is live(playing state)
> it can't be reused in another pipe. And advice on how to overcome this? Any
> help would be appreciated

That's correct. While you can (with UDP) listen on the same port twice,
it's not a good design and is AFAIK not guaranteed to give you all
packets on both sockets.

You will either have to do it in a single process with a single socket
and do everything there, or have one process that collects everything
from UDP and makes it available to the other processes via some other
IPC means.