From UVC jpeg webcam to OpenCV using Gstreamer

Damien Picard picard.damien at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:14:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

Due to an issue in opencv4tegra, I can not capture from my UVC webcam using
OpenCV. To get round this problem, I'm trying to use GStreamer and its
Python bindings to capture jpeg images from the webcam.

To do that, I adapt this tutorial
<https://gist.githubusercontent.com/willpatera/7984486/raw/54b71f20b6a055839e44d59663ee4783042305cf/gst-appsink-opencv.py>
with a custom pipeline.
Currently my pipeline looks like this :

v4l2src ! image/jpeg,width=1920,height=1080 ! jpegdec ! videoconvert !
appsink name=sink caps=video/x-raw, format=(string){BGR, GRAY8};
video/x-bayer,format=(string){rggb,bggr,grbg,gbrg}

(The function that convert gstreamer to opencv array is exactly the same as
in the tutorial)

It works (maybe the colors are not the good ones, but I'm not sure), but
I'm wondering if there is a way to retrieve the jpeg images directly from
gstreamer ? By this way, I will decode them using OpenCV and I hope that it
could, at least, limits processing.

Thank you in advance.

--
Damien Picard