Capture H.264 frames in appsink

Gary Metalle gary.metalle at rvl.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 09:53:49 UTC 2017

Hi

I'm trying to write an app that will capture H.264 frames from an IP
camera via an RTSP source into an app sink. It's actually a shared
library for a SIP application for video calls. As long as I can extract
the H.264 frames and forward them on, I don't have much to do to get
this working.

Here is the pipeline I'm using:

rtspsrc name=rtspsrc is-live=TRUE
location="rtsp://admin:admin@192.168.1.51:554/stream1" latency=100 !
rtph264depay name=depay !
video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream,alignment=nal ! appsink name=sink
emit-signals=TRUE drop=TRUE

I seem to be capturing frames ok and I'd even go as far as saying they
are valid, but from debug output further up the chain there doesn't
appear to be a reference frames and when I try to view the remote video
I just see a black screen (once and only once I saw a broken up image).
I have also tried adding the width/height/framerate fields in as well,
but that hasn't helped.

The fact that I don't think there are any keyframes makes me nervous and
perhaps (probably) why the remote side is showing a black screen because
it is only receiving difference frames. The camera source is set-up to
be 720x480 at 20 fps, iframe interval is 20, VBR 5000 kbps.

Regards

Gary Metalle

Embedded Software Engineer