Timestamp based extraction of audio data from GstAdapter

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Apr 13 16:52:26 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-04-13 at 07:48 -0700, dingoegret wrote:
> How can I install that plugin? I tried installing gst-plugins-bad via
> homebrew but it doesnt seem to include it.

It's a new element that is in 1.11.1 and above. You can build it
yourself with older versions though, there is no dependency on other
parts of GStreamer newer than 1.10 or even 1.8.

> Once installed, I assume the
> property to set is 'alignment_threshold'?

You want to set output-buffer-duration to the value you want. It's in
fractional seconds.

> Can you link me to an explanation for ref? Or lightly touch on it?

See gst_buffer_ref() in the docs, and read up in general about
reference counting.

> It
> 'seems' to work in that I can gst_adapter_take from another thread and save
> to a file and the audio is there.

GstAdapter is not thread-safe