RTSP timestamp synchronization

lex_grant grishin at csi-msk.ru
Fri Apr 14 10:16:24 UTC 2017

Hi!
I have a task to get the exact time of the event shot on the IP camera, up
to 1 millisecond. Camera is shooting a special screen that shows date and
time with accuracy up to 1 microsecond. Also camera has a direct connection
to server via network cable. My pipeline is look like that:  rtspsrc !
rtph264depay ! h264parse ! avdec_h264 ! appsink. Currently I'm getting
frames through gst_app_sink_pull_sample() method call-backed by "new-sample"
signal generated by appsink. The system time is syncing by a special
hardware.

Is there any way to get a correct event timestamp for every received frame?

Recently I've read about wonderful GstPtpClock feature. This feature allows
to synchronize RTSP streams received from remote devices. Can I use it to
get the correct time of the event?

Thanks!