Developing new plugin out of tree

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Mon Apr 17 10:37:29 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-04-14 at 12:46 +0100, Russel Winder wrote:

Hi Russel,

> I am finally getting on to starting the libdvbv5 rewrite of the DVB
> plugin. Rather than work within a fork of gst-plugins-bad, it seems
> more sensible to take the dvb directory out into a new repository.
> I'll be creating a CMake build simply to be able to use CLion for
> development, but this will be a quick hack of the far more sensible
> Meson build. The dvb directory comes with it's meson.build but this
> is just the leaf of a meson.build file tree.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of doing this sort of thing and can
> offer any help as to how to use the Meson build out of the tree?

I'd just make my own repo/directory for now with a meson.build file
like attached.

Then just

  export GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/path/to/your/builddir

so it gets picked up from the build dir without you having to install
it somewhere first.

Then you just hack away until it's ready for upstreaming.

Cheers
 -Tim