iOS 10.3.1 breaks streaming over cellular?

Michael McNamara mmcnamara at control4.com
Wed Apr 26 18:56:51 UTC 2017

I’ve seen this on T-Mobile, AT&T and have second hand reports of Verizon as well.  10.3.x only.  There’s no problem is iOS 10.2.x FWIW.  We did IPv6 testing when Apple first brought the issue to light and didn’t experience any issues.  However it would certainly seem as if IPv6 is in fact the issue here.

In glib (2.50-3), gresolver.c in gio makes use of inet_aton() which is called out in Apple's document as being problematic.  gresolver.c appears to primarily be used by various clock related classes — which may (or may not, I haven’t walked a stack trace) help explain why streaming is problematic.  This is the only place I immediately found that doesn’t make use of getaddrinfo().  gthreadedresolver.c and ginetsocketaddress.c make use of getaddrinfo() for example.  I wonder if swapping for inet_aton() for inet_pton() or implementing getaddrinfo() in gresolver.c might fix the issue.

Thanks for the reply!