Fwd: Vaapih264enc and Intra/Key frame request

Matteo Valdina matteo.valdina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 02:47:59 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm currently using vaapih264enc for a live streaming (RTP) project (1.8.3
for now). I need to generate intra-frame upon an external request (like
packet loss indication).

For asking to the encoder to generate the intra-frame, I'm using this code:

GstEvent* event = gst_video_event_new_downstream_force_key_unit
(GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE, GST_CLOCK_TIME_NONE, TRUE, 1);
gboolean res = gst_element_send_event(encoder_, event);

I tested and analyzed the output stream generated by x264enc and it works.

But when I use vaapih264enc. I see generate SPS, PPS, SEI and Non-IDR
frames.

Does someone try a similar scenario and verify if intra frame is generated
as expected?

I'm also surprised that there is no way to disable periodic key frame
generation. Documentation states 0 for auto computation, accepted range 1 -
300. When I tried with 0 GLib assert that it is not a valid value.

Is it possible to disable this feature?

Best regards
Matteo Valdina

--
“There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is