[RFC] provide a bin to GstRtspMediaFactory

Eloi Bail eloi.bail at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 16:52:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
wrote:

> As both elements are at the same level of the bin hierarchy, annotation
> element would never see any messages from motion detector. Only the
> surrounding bin would see messages.

yes.

> And the surrounding bin is exactly the "element" that is created by the
> RTSP media factory, and you can return your bin subclass there that is
> catching messages of its child elements (like the motion detector).

This element is created by gst_parse_launch_full with
GST_PARSE_FLAG_PLACE_IN_BIN.
Should I then modify grammar.tab.c to add my custom flag
GST_PARSE_FLAG_PLACE_IN_MY_BIN which would return a "MyBin" instead of
"GstBin" ?

> A better approach might be to place the motion detector in front of the
> annotation element, so that it can be to information directly on its
> output buffers (GstMeta e.g.) and let the annotation element directly
> read it from there instead of having yet another way of communication.

So then the motion detector would act as a passthrough with my custom
metadata ?

> Alternatively you could also let the motion detection element know
> about the annotation element and have them communicate via direct
> function calls.

Yes but I would need to implement my own inter-thread communication ?

> -

Thanks for your help.