How to use Android Media (amc) plugin?

Eagle Bald eaglebaldnexus at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:01:52 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have been struggling to get the amc plugin to work. I followed this link
https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/
for-android-development.html and got the Gstreamer Android binaries 1.12.3
and the gst-docs examples. I was able to compile the examples and started
modifying example 3. My pipeline is as below,

gst_parse_launch("filesrc location=/storage/emulated/0/myhevcfile.ts !
tsdemux ! queue ! openh264 ! amcviddec-omxgooglehevcdecoder ! autovideosink
sync=false", &error)

This gives me a plugin amcviddec-omxgooglehevcdecoder not found error. The
following pipeline with a software decoder works fine,
gst_parse_launch("filesrc location=/storage/emulated/0/myhevcfile.ts !
tsdemux ! queue ! openh264 ! avdec_h265 ! autovideosink sync=false", &error)

Following the previous posts I have done the following,
1. Made sure that Android.mk explicitly lists androdmedia as one of the
plugins.
2. Ran the following code to print out all the decoders,

  GList *l;
  GList *elements = gst_element_factory_list_get_elements
(GST_ELEMENT_FACTORY_TYPE_DECODER, GST_RANK_NONE);
  for (l = elements; l; l = l->next) {
    GstElementFactory *f = l->data;
    g_print ("factory: %s\n", GST_OBJECT_NAME (f));
  }
This did not print amc as one of the plugin.
3. Turned logging to amc*:6 but didn't see any amc logs.
4. /etc/media_codecs.xml exists and it has an href to
media_codecs_google_video.xml which has an entry for decoder -
OMX.google.hevc.decoder.
5.This posts
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17659129/hardware-video-decoding-on-android-using-gstreamer
mentions that there are some dependent files that are needed. What files
are those?
6. Do I need to compile amc from scratch?

This is on a Verizon 10 elipsis tablet.

I would really appreciate your help.
thanks,