Evaluating use of GStreamer

bdiesel bruce.diesel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:06:15 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,

> Not sure if I understand you correctly here. There are multiple ways to
> make textoverlay show text on top of video. One is by feeding it timed
> text as input on the text sink pad (the "subtitle way" if you like),
> the other is to simply set its "text" property via g_object_set(). You
> can do this at run-time from your application thread, in which case
> it's up to your application when to change it / set it.

Getting to grips with driving gstreamer programmatically now instead of the
command line, so I will hopefully be able to o this quite easily

> Yes, that's achievable. I'm not sure whether you really need to grab
> the data via fdsrc and pipes though, I would rather do this in your
> application and then change the text property on textoverlay.

Agreed, my unix piping skills are not quite up to scratch, will do it
programmatically.

> You can find some code here to start/stop recording with a backlog:

 > https://people.freedesktop.org/~tpm/code/test-backlog-recording-h264.c

Thanks for the reference, I will take a look

> Well. It's not really a lot of lines of code, but there's a bit of a
> learning curve (GObject, GStreamer etc.). I'm not sure you need to do
> this if you grab the sensor data in your app.

Agreed, getting a much better feel for driving gstreamer programmatically
without necessarily having to write plugins.

Thanks for the help!

Bruce