ksvideo...? newbie question

pangit_ako hamburgerstephen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 22:14:23 UTC 2017

Greetings,

  I am new to GStreamer...please excuse my ignorance...I am trying to learn
this as quickly as I am able.  I have the program(s) installed (Windows
Vista) and have fired up the command line.  I type the following 'test'
pipeline...and it works just fine:

gst-launch-1.0.exe videotestsrc ! autovideosink

 This also works fine when I change the properties to 'snow', 'ball',
'red'...etc...

  However when I attempt to use my webcam (by using 'autovideosrc'), I get
an error of which I'm not exactly sure to what it is referring...here is the
command followed by the output generated from GStreamer:

gst-launch-1.0 autovideosrc ! video/x-raw,width=640,height=480 ! jpegenc !
rtpjpegpay ! udpsink host=127.0.0.1 port=5200

"setting pipeline to PAUSED...
"pipeline is live and does not need PREROLL...
ERROR from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSrc:autovideosrc0/GstKsVideoSrc:autovideosrc0-actual-src-ksvide:
internal data stream error.
Additional debug info:
gstbasesrc.c(2939):
gst-base-src-loop():/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstAutoVideoSrc:autovideosrc0/GstKsVideoSrc:autovideosrc0-actual-video-src-ksvide:
streaming stoppped, reason not-negotiated (-4)
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll...
Setting pipeline to PAUSED...
Setting pipeline to READY...
Setting pipleine to NULL...
Freeing pipeline..."

 I believe the same error occurs using an even more simplified command of
the above:

gst-launch-1.0 autovideosrc ! autovideosink

 My system is an Acer TM 5720 laptop...Windows Vista OS...I know my built-in
webcam (Acer Crystal Eye) is functioning...because it seems to work without
any problems in other applications...so it is not the webcam or a driver
issue.  I seem to see this same error message no matter what I use as a
'src' element...?  It is possible this is an OS problem (perhaps MS Vista is
not supported)...???

  Any insight about what the problem might be would be greatly
appreciated...again remember I'm new to GStreamer so I apologize in advance.
Regards.