live streaming over HTTP process confusion

pangit_ako hamburgerstephen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 22:20:37 UTC 2017

Hello,

  I'm still fairly new to GStreamer.  I'd like to be able to use GStreamer
to send 'live' webcam stream over the Internet using HTTP.  It seems, the
'Soup' element is used to accomplish this...and it can be either a 'sink'
(server) or a 'source' (client)...

  I have some confusion on who is the 'sender' and 'receiver' in this case?
I was under the impression the 'sender' (the one creating/streaming the
webcam feed) would be considered the 'server' (and thus the pipeline on that
machine would use the 'Soupsink')...while the receiving machine (located at
the IP address/port used by the sender) would use the 'Soupsrc'.  Since the
'Soup' element seems to require those 2 pipelines (1 for sender and 1 for
receiver) how is the 'receiver' pipeline code sent to that remote receiving
machine...?  Is a separate FTP transfer or similar process used to send an
'information' file to the remote machine (with GStreamer installed and
running as well)...?

  Is it not possible for the 'sender' to run the appropriate pipeline on
their local machine to enable their own IP address to be accessed over the
Internet by remote browsers...?  In this way both pipelines would be run on
that same 'broadcaster' machine...?  Also in that way any remote browser
should (in theory) be able to access/view that live stream if the sender's
IP address is known.

  Also since HTTP uses port 80...how is it possible for the sender's stream
to be viewed by multiple remote browsers...instead of only 1...is there a
need to assign different ports for multiple stream views?

  I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions...just trying to 'get
my head around' the general process required to accomplish this using
GStreamer...thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards