x264enc -> appsink motion issues

Mike T. mike at yatinla.com
Tue Feb 28 02:00:59 UTC 2017

I have a need to use a 3rd party RTP stack with Gstreamer for sending
H.264.  I have a pipeline that has x264enc sourcing to appsink and I am
able to send the RTP packets and decode them.  However, the motion in the
decoded video is strange. Imagine an object moving smoothly across the
screen such as in the videotestsrc bouncing ball test pattern.  Instead of
moving smoothly it moves forward and then backwards a bit and repeats that
motion.  Sort of like a 3 steps forward and 1 step back.  So it completes
all the motion but with this jerky progress.

What can cause this?  I imagine I must set some caps on appsink or
something but I'm a newbie to GStreamer and haven't found an answer yet.

Thanks,

Mike