Match RTP packets with decoded image frames

myamens mrayyamen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:10:09 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am currently using GStreamer to stream video over network. In my
application, I need to perfectly sync data with the video images (zero
latency between both data and the corresponding images).
Since data size per frame is very small (8 bytes), I am adding this data
into the first RTP packet's padding for each encoded frame just before
sending it over UDP. On the receiver side, after I receive the packet I
extract the data from the RTP padding and save it in a queue. Once the frame
is decoded, I pop from the queue the first element which suppose to match
the decoded frame.
In theory it should work fine, however in practice, the sink can drop some
frames which would results mismatching between the frames and the
corresponding data in the queue.

I am looking for better solutions in which I can perfectly sync between the
received RTP packets and the corresponding decoded image frames.

I tried to add metadata into the RTP packets on the receiver side, and
extract the meta data after decoding, however it didn't work (the metadata
is removed apparently).

Looking forward for an advice!