Video decoder performance and QoS

Yi-Lung Tsai wagamama.tsai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 03:25:15 UTC 2017

Our team currently develop an HEVC decode library and want to integrate it
into GStreamer pipeline.
Unfortunately we encounter a performance issue.

We test a video with frame rate 29.97.
In our test-bed, the HEVC library could process video stream under FPS
33~34 on average.
This performance seems enough on the target machine.

Then we develop a video decoder plugin to leverage our HEVC library.
The performance is measured in "playbin" with "fpsdisplaysink".
FPS message is shown every 500ms.
>From the beginning, FPS value is around 29.8~30.1.
After two seconds, the FPS starts declining and never goes back to 20.

There is a drop mechanism in "gst_video_decoder_clip_and_push_buf".
I guess this issue is related to QoS.
My question is which direction should I try to get performance improvement.
Thanks.

Yi-Lung (Bruce) Tsai