Multi-Caps input parameter for an element?

Stirling Westrup swestrup at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 17:58:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:34 AM, Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 16:50 -0500, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> > I am writing a testcaps element who's purpose will be to regularly
> > cycle through a list of GstCaps structures at regular intervals, so
> > as to test pipeline renegotiation.
> >
> > The main code seems pretty straight-forward, but I'm unsure how to
> > define a parameter type that accepts a list of caps. I'm thinking of
> > using something like '!' or '|' as an internal caps separator, and
> > going with that, but regardless, I can't find any documentation in
> > the glib or gstreamer manual on creating and parsing new parameter
> > types from the command line.
>
> You could abuse GstCaps for that, and just pass caps with multiple
> structures in the property. And then iterate through those structures
> in your element.

I could, but then I couldn't use the test framework to test GstCaps with
multiple structures. I really do want a List-of-Caps, but it doesn't look
like I can use an actual list as I doubt the current parser could handle a
comma-separated list containing two elements each a GstCaps with multiple
structures, unless there is some escaping mechanism I'm unaware of.

I just did a search through the documentation and although I know there
used to be documentation on the string-serialization forms of lists, arrays
and ranges, I can't find it anywhere.