The Meson Build

Nirbheek Chauhan nirbheek.chauhan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 16:18:05 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 9:07 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
> So if I remove all the gstreamer packages installed on Debian Sid or
> Fedora Rawhide, nothing else installed breaks because I have a
> GStreamer installed in $HOME/Built – where $HOME/Built/lib is on
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. (I know package dependencies won't allow me to try
> this experiment, but…)

You don't need to remove any system packages. If you run `ninja
uninstalled` inside the build directory, it will setup
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH, etc such that your newly-built gstreamer
libraries will be used by whatever you run from inside that terminal.

> Will Ninja do a Git update check on the cloned repositories, or is that
> a manual state?

You can run ./git-update and then run ninja -C build to rebuild only
whatever has changed.

> I think we can state with confidence that this Meson build is already
> about 5,372,628.61% better than the Autotools one.

Great to hear that it's working out for you :)

Cheers,
Nirbheek