vaapidecode parse error handling

Matt Staples staples255 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:33:47 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I ran into a problem with vaapidecode, where it failed to handle an
H264 stream due to a parse error on an SEI packet.  The upstream
h264parser element complained about the packet, but otherwise let it
through with a warning.  But then vaapidecode printed a debug error
message about it and then returned GST_FLOW_EOS.

Two questions:
1. Is there a chance vaapidecode is parsing too strictly?  (The
software decoder plays the same stream without any apparent problems.)
2. Is GST_FLOW_EOS really the desired behavior?  Our application can't
distinguish this from a proper end-of-stream condition, and therefore
can't effectively handle the error, e.g., by switching over to the
software decoder and trying again.  I would think a GST_ELEMENT_ERROR
(streaming feature) would be more appropriate in this case.

Thanks,
-Matt