gstglcolorconvert output buffer format

Bruce Wheaton bwheaton at synchromeshddr.com
Fri Jan 13 19:54:11 UTC 2017

Thank you for a detailed response - very kind.

>> Anyway - I can change the code to use float or half float (16-bit float GL format), but I’m not sure how best to fit it into the GStreamer system - still reading up on that. Also, can someone please point me to where/how to submit patches? Here on the list, or in source control?
>
> Bugs and patches are tracked in gnome bugzilla here:
> https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer <https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer>.  You can
> submit patches there.
>
>> In my head, I expected that element to look at caps and create an appropriate format based on that?
>
> That's exactly how this would work :).

Splendid! That’s what I hoped someone would say.

> The first step is to add the necessary information to the libgstvideo
> library for the float/half-float formats.
> Second step is adding the float/half-float textures to gstglformat for
> converting between GstVideoFormat and the necessary GL tokens.
> Then you can use those formats from glcolorconvert.

Great - there’s a lot of deja-vu looking in there but at least I have some idea of what I’m looking for…

So, in gst-plugins-base, video/video-format.h seems to be where the new format should go?

And it looks like it needs to go in a few places…

Then video-info.c as well? And video-converter.c…. And video scale.c? :-(   Oh boy.

Is a format patch going to get in trouble because it isn’t supported well in software? Scaling and conversions, for instance?

gstglformat.h seems a little more straightforward… Can probably work that out.

I’ll start on changes and a patch. If I diff against a tagged release in GIT, that works, I presume?

So - more of a can of worms: has there been discussion of compressed image formats? A couple of codecs, notably and most usefully the HAP family are compressed GL formats. I guess I’d have to add support here, or maybe manually handle those frames as a raw format of some kind?

The more complicated is HapQ[A] which is: intraframe only, snappy compression (RLE) on each frame, planar (if alpha is included), GL compressed formats in a custom color space. RCoCg afair.

I’m sure it would have to be a separate patch, as I’m sure there would be a lot of wrinkles to that. Has anyone else been requesting these codecs or formats and handled it already? I suspect libav would handle it through software but that totally defeats the object.

Bruce