Decreasing startup delay with v4lsrc

Kristian Kielhofner kris at kriskinc.com
Sat Jan 14 18:41:28 UTC 2017

Hello,

  I'm using gstreamer in a use case where startup time is critical.
I'm using v4l2src with a compatible camera. Everything works well
except that it takes gstreamer almost seven seconds to enumerate the
capabilities of the camera I'm using:

http://pastebin.com/HvZKgk8J

  This is gstreamer 1.11.1 built from source on Debian Jessie (x86_64)
although this delay is virtually identical with various other versions
and platforms I've tried.

  Is there a way to get Gstreamer to skip some or all of this
enumeration to speed startup time? In my particular case the camera
and application are fixed, if there is a way to provide the capable
and desired capabilities and skip enumeration that's certainly an
option in my case.

  Thanks!

--
Kristian Kielhofner