gst-launch-1.0 with -e or without -e

bojan74 bojan.flander at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:36:06 UTC 2017

I know that option -e means "Force EOS on sources before shutting the
pipeline down".
But what exactly happens behind?

For example this creates test.mp4 with video stream.
gst-launch-1.0 -e videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink
location="test.mp4"

But this does not, there is no video stream inside mp4 file.
gst-launch-1.0 videotestsrc is-live=true ! x264enc ! mp4mux ! filesink
location="test.mp4"

It looks that -e helps in some way that video stream is added into mp4 file.

I am asking this because also in c code application I have similar problem.
I don't get video stream inside mp4 file. So I guess I should call something
in code when stream is ended what will create header for video stream inside
mp4 file. At the end of c code I set pipeline to GST_STATE_NULL but that
doesn't help.
gst_element_set_state(pipeline, GST_STATE_NULL);