gstreamer-vaapi

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Jan 18 11:06:13 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-01-18 at 05:33 -0500, Nick Kallen wrote:

Hi Nick,

> > For encoding you should be able to use the 'nvenc' plugin from gst-
> > plugins-bad on these machines, once you've downloaded and installed
> > the nvidia sdk.
>
> I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, but even after following the
> README instructions here ( https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst
> -plugins-bad/tree/sys/nvenc/README ) I can’t find the element nvenc
> gst-launch-1.0 rtmpsrc
> location=rtsp://wowzaec2demo.streamlock.net/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_115k
> .mov ! decodebin ! nvenc
> WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element “nvenc"
>
> But I have gstreamer-plugins-bad installed:
>
> libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 is already the newest version (1.8.2-
> 1ubuntu0.2).
> libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev is already the newest version (1.8.2-
> 1ubuntu0.2).
>
> As far as I can tell, nothing in the sys/ directory of gstreamer-
> plugins-bad is available on my ubuntu distribution.

Yes, ubuntu doesn't ship the nvenc plugin by default (they can't
because it needs to be compiled against the nvidia headers + libs which
are not FLOSS software).

So you'd have to compile gst-plugins-bad yourself - it's enough to
configure it and then cd sys/nvenc; make; make install in there - no
need for all the other plugins.

Then by default the plugin will be installed into a different prefix,
so you either need to copy it into /usr/lib/../gstreamer-1.0/ manually
or set the GST_PLUGIN_PATH variable to where it was installed, so that
GStreamer finds it.

It's a bit fiddly I'm afraid, but I can assure you it'll work :)

Cheers
 -Tim