Using GPU to decode video on Android

ivan-perez ivan at encore-lab.com
Mon Jan 23 09:50:39 UTC 2017

qqk wrote
> As I know, GPU can not decode H264.
> The hardware acceleration that can do that is the video codec hardware
> unit.
> you can check that if your CPU support the hardware acceleration.

Hello,

I've confirmed using a debugging tool that the GPU doesn't decode video (at
least on my phone). Is there any way to check if GStreamer is using any type
of hardware acceleration? I can perfectly play videos in 1080p stored on my
device using the default video player which comes in the phone (and I've
checked that the GPU is not doing that work), but I don't know why my video,
at only 360p, can't be played smoothly with GStreamer.

Thanks!