bad audio stream when using gsm over network (using rtpgsmpay)

Aurele Traynard aurele.traynard at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 08:48:49 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I was trying to send a stream gsm encoded over network using rtp, I had
problems with the audio stream, it was not good at all.
I made several tests with some equipements and finally I made those tests
on my ubuntu 16.04 :

this pipeline works well :
gst-launch-1.0 -v alsasrc ! gsmenc ! gsmdec ! alsasink
this one doesn't work :
gst-launch-1.0 -v alsasrc ! gsmenc ! rtpgsmpay ! rtpgsmdepay ! gsmdec !
alsasink

I used a SIP phone to get a rtp gsm stream and I could decode it without
any problem, so my guess is that the gsmenc and the rtpgsmpay are not
working well together... (or maybe rtpgsmpay/rtpgsmdepay). Of course the
SIP phone is not able to decode the rtp stream generated by gstreamer.

I made the test on arm platform with GStreamer 1.10.4 and on my Ubuntu with
GStreamer 1.8.3 the result is quite similar... The sound is really bad

if anyone has any suggestion, or knows where to start looking...

Thanks for any help
Aurèle