another simple question about duration

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 22:31:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a simple pipeline:   filesrc  ->  decodebin  .....  -> appsrc

which works just fine but I am having problems getting an accurate duration
query. I am using:

    gst_element_query_duration(GST_ELEMENT(pGstPipeline), GST_FORMAT_TIME,
&lDuration));

which always gives me a duration of 99:99:99.999999999.

The files I am using are the big buck bunny files which appear to be
correctly formatted containers. When I use gst-discoverer-1.0 on these files
its reports the correct duration of 0:09:56.461666666. So it appears that
container files have the duration. I have tried to call the query on various
elements in the pipeline but still I get the incorrect duration. In a
similar way, I am querying the position during playback using:

    gst_element_query_position(GST_ELEMENT(pGstPipeline), GST_FORMAT_TIME,
&lPosition));

and it works correctly.

So what is the secret to getting the duration of a media file?

-Andres