GStreamer empowers a cute robot in the International Space Station

Yasushi SHOJI yashi at atmark-techno.com
Thu Jul 20 06:48:25 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Some of you might already see this in the news.  Japan Aerospace
Exploration Agency (Jaxa) has sent a cute camera robot, called
Int-Ball, to the International Space Station (ISS).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40640039
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_A-yb8rlac
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Jaxa+Int-Ball&ia=news

We, Atmark Techno, have participated the project and have chosen to
run GStreamer to downlink the video stream from the main camera on the
robot.  That is, the ISS video clip you see was produced by GStreamer!
Woohoo!

The robot is assembled with a few parts.  One of the parts responsible
for the video streaming is using Armadillo-810, a single-board
computer we designed and sell.  The board is based on Renesas'
R-Mobile A1 SoC.  The SoC has a built-in H.264 hardware encoder.
GStreamer handles the images from the main camera, pushes them to the
encoder and downlink encoded video stream.

https://www.renesas.com/en-us/products/communications-and-mobile-devices/r-mobile/r-mobile-a1.html

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to disclose the pipeline we are
using for the robot.  So I have not much more to say.  But if you are
interested in, drop me a line.  I'll try my best to answer your
technical question.

At last, but not least, we thank you all of you working on and using
GStreamer.  With out you guys, Int-ball wouldn't be able to send
FullHD video stream from the ISS.

Thanks,
--
           yashi