is it allowed to change updsink host property dynamically without stopping pipeline?

alcosar alkhozar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 18:49:44 UTC 2017

Hello,
I have a pipeline:
constexpr char kSenderPipeline[] =
    "alsasrc  ! "
    "deinterleave name=d d.src_1 ! "
    "audio/x-raw,format=S16LE,channels=1 ! "
    "audioresample ! "
    "opusenc bandwidth=narrowband ! "
    "rtpopuspay ! "
    "udpsink name=ptt_udpsink";
Depending on network availability I want to be able to change IP addrress on
udpsink element. Right now I'm doing it like this:
// Updates an IP address on udpsink element. The audio stream will be sent
// different IP address.
void UpdateUdpsinkHostAddress(const gpointer udpsink,
                              const ::std::string &host) {
  g_object_set(udpsink, "host", host.c_str(), "port", kPort, nullptr);
}
This function could be locket from different threads, and I'm using mutex to
ensure that only one thread can call it at a time.

But I don't know what happens with a thread that runs udpsink. Is it safe to
do so without stopping pipeline?