Video drop issue from rtpjitterbuffer and xvimagesink

Krishnamoorthy krishnamoorthy.arunachalam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 06:50:52 UTC 2017

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your feedback.

There is no specific reason for rtpjitterbuffer. I have removed
rtpjitterbuffer and increased the latency in the jitterbuffer. The decoder
application works fine when there is no issue in the network.

But, my network environment is -
1) Wireless network
2) There is possibility of random delay (delay is not uniform between
packets) between video packets.

To simulate the random delay, I have used the below command in linux PC
(Another PC in between the video application and wireless router.)
sudo tc qdisc add dev eth1 root netem delay 250ms 750ms 10%

With this "non uniform" delay, the decoder pipeline dropping the frames
continuously (introduce the delay for around 30 sec and then stop introduce
the delay).

I found the below gstreamer pipeline is able to handle the "non uniform
delay".
gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc location=rtsp://<IP Address>/MediaINput/h264
protocols=3 ! queue max-size-time=100000000 ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 !
xvimagesink sync=false

List of changes compared to my earlier filter path:
1) Removed the rtpjitterbuffer
2) sync=false in xvimagesink
3) rtspsrc with default latency (latency=2000 ms)
4) Introduce queue  with max-size-time=100000000

This pipeline is able to manage the non-uniform delay in network packets.
But, i found the below side effects.

1) Observed 1 sec delay in the displayed video frames over long run (1 hr).
2) Video frames are out of sync between the video feeds (I have 3 video
decoders running simultaneously). Nearly around 500ms difference found
between the video feeds.

Could any help me to review the above decoder pipeline and feedback on how
to address the issue in delay, out of sync between multiple video feed
issue.

Could any one review and feedback is th