Problem installing GStreamer-vaapi

Zelnes mehdi.ghesh at hotmail.fr
Wed Jun 7 11:42:56 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to learn and use GStreamer, and especially it's plugin
GStreamer-vaapi.
Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to install this plugin, or more
precisely, why it won't install.

I've uninstalled GStreamer provided by Ubuntu and Mint (my project has to
work on a Mint computer, but I work on Ubuntu 16.04), and then I installed
GStreamer 1.12.0.
In order to install GStreamer-Vaapi, the configure script tells me I need to
install several plugins : Base, Good and Bad, what I've successfully done (I
could check with gst-inspect-1.0, which tells me I have more plugins
installed (160) than just after gstreamer (3)). After those plugins
installed, I reran ./configure, which succeed ! I then run make && sudo make
install, but I can't access vaapidecode and all elements provided by the
plugin. I get this issue on both computers.

A few things to say, the Ubuntu computer runs on a AMD config, and I tried
to install gstreamer-vaapi-1.10.4, and the Mint one is running with an Intel
i5 and Intel GPU also, and I tried to install gstreamer-vaapi-1.12.0.

Does anyone know how to install gstreamer-vaapi correctly to have access to
it's elements ?
Thanks !